Produced by the abundant talent of Jimmy Zhang, this cover will be adorning the new Mongoose Publishing edition of Stars Without Number when it launches in September. For those of you who haven’t had the chance to keep up with the Twitter feed, here are some of the important facts about the new edition.
- The current Stars Without Number PDF available at DriveThruRPG/RPGNow will remain free for the foreseeable future.
- The new edition will contain new rules for PC and NPC robots, AIs, and mechs in the Stars Without Number universe.
- A new chapter has been added to help GMs create conflict-laden societies rooted in the history of their colony world.
- The rest of the book is essentially unchanged from the current free version. The 40-odd additional pages are purely new content, not changes to any existing rules.
- Mongoose SWN will run $40 in hardback only. The current free version print products will likely be discontinued.
- There are no current plans for a Mongoose SWN PDF version, though that may change.
I’m really looking forward to seeing this expanded edition hit the market. Going from a modest PDF released at the end of November to a publishing deal, distribution, and a shiny new hardcover nine months later has been enormously gratifying, especially since I thought I’d be lucky to get so much as a few hundred downloads. Thanks to the support of generous fans and users, Sine Nomine has remained in the black for every month of 2011, and while the sums involved will never make me quit my day job, I can’t say I ever thought to actually turn a profit on this hobby. With your continued support, Sine Nomine will keep producing the kind of sandbox games and resources that I’ve had so much fun creating and sharing with you all.